Robert Thomas Pattinson (born May 13, 1986) appears in all five movies of the series as Edward Cullen. Prior to his lead role in the Twilight Saga films, he was known for his role as Cedric Diggory in the film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Twilight[edit | edit source]
Summit Entertainment announced on December 11, 2007 that they had cast Pattinson in the role of Edward Cullen. On her website, Stephenie Meyer endorsed the choice, saying, "I am ecstatic with Summit's choice for Edward. There are very few actors who can look both dangerous and beautiful at the same time, and even fewer who I can picture in my head as Edward. Robert Pattinson is going to be amazing."
According to Pattinson, he had little knowledge of the books when he auditioned. He says, "I went into it thinking it was a vampire film directed by Catherine Hardwicke, who does like gritty sort of realistic indie films. If you're doing a vampire fantasy shot like Thirteen, then that would be interesting. That's why I went into it really, and it ended up being something totally and utterly different." He says that he came to hate the "perfect" character of Edward, and so he decided to play him as a manic-depressive who hates himself. He also claims he felt voyeuristic while reading the novels, as if he were peeping in on the author's fantasies. He notes, "I was just convinced that this woman is mad, she's completely mad, and she's in love with her own fictional creation." Pattinson plays the piano during one scene in the movie. During the original takes, the actor played his own improvisations; the scene was later re-shot with him playing the "Bella's Lullaby" composed by soundtrack writer Carter Burwell for the film. Two of his original songs, written before Twilight was made, appear on the soundtrack album.
The actor admits that he is not athletic, and did not enjoy filming the baseball game. He also had difficulty putting in contact lenses to change the color of his eyes.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
Robert Pattinson was born on May 13, 1986 (Taurus) in London, England. Besides acting, his interests include reading, playing guitar and keyboard. He composes his own music and enjoys live performances. He has said that he misses being able to perform live at open mic nights now that he is readily recognized as "Edward", but he did not like having videos of his performances appear on YouTube.
He has stated in multiple interviews for the Twilight Saga that he is currently single. Since then, he was reluctant to answer questions relating to his relationship with co-star Kristen Stewart. However, their relationship ended in 2012 after she had been photographed cheating on him with director Rupert Sanders.
In school he wanted to be a political speechwriter, before deciding to try acting instead. He denies using any hair products to get his hair to stand on end, saying that "I'm just always grabbing my hair and stuff."
He received a Hollywood Award at the Hollywood Film Festival Awards on October 29, 2008. Pattinson claims that he never watches himself in movies, "because it makes me feel like I'll never want to do a job again."
Pattinson began dating British singer-songwriter FKA twigs (real name: Tahliah Barnett) in September 2014. In April 2015, it was confirmed that they are engaged. The couple made their red carpet debut at the 2015 Met Gala in New York on May 4, 2015. The couple ended their engagement in mid-2017.
Relatives[edit | edit source]
- "Up until I was twelve my sisters used to dress me up as a girl and introduce me as 'Claudia'. Twelve was the turning point as I moved to a mixed school and then became cool and discovered hair gel."
- ―Robert Pattinson
Pattinson has two sisters; the youngest, Lizzy, is twenty-five years old and had a top ten hit with the punk band Aurora. The other, Victoria, is twenty-seven and works in advertising. His parents, Richard and Clare Pattinson, currently live in Richmond.
Filmography[edit | edit source]
|2004||Vanity Fair||Older Rawdy Crawley|
|Ring of the Nibelungs||Gisellher|
|2005||Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire||Cedric Diggory|
|2006||The Haunted Airman||Toby Jugg|
|2007||The Bad Mother's Handbook||Daniel Gale|
|Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix||Cedric Diggory||flashback only|
|2008||How to Be||Art|
|The Summer House||Richard|
|2009||Little Ashes||Salvador Dalí|
|The Twilight Saga: New Moon||Edward Cullen|
|2010||Remember Me||Tyler Hawkins|
|The Twilight Saga: Eclipse||Edward Cullen|
|2011||Bel Ami||Georges Duroy|
|Water for Elephants||Jacob Jankowski|
|The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1||Edward Cullen|
|2012||The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2||Edward Cullen|
|2013||Mission Blacklist||Eric Maddox|
|2014||Queen of the Desert||Co. T.E Lawrence|
|Maps To The Stars||Jerome|
|2015||Maps To The Stars||Jerome Fontana|
|The Childhood Leader||Charles Marker|
|The Lost City of Z||Henry Costin|
|2019||The Lighthouse||Ephraim Winslow / Thomas Howard|
|The King||The Dauphin|
|The Devil All the Time||Preston Taegardin|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Pattinson's favorite book from the Twilight Saga is New Moon.
- He is an excellent musician and plays both the guitar and piano. He began taking piano lessons at age three, and classical guitar at five.
- He beat 3,000 people to play Edward Cullen in the movie Twilight.
- He was announced as the Worlds Sexiest Man of 2012 and in which is the second time around for him to be awarded this title.
- In December 2009, Pattinson autographed a guitar to be auctioned off for charity.
- He also volunteered for the Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief in January 2010.
- Time magazine named him as one of 2010's 100 Most Influential People in The World.
- Due to Pattinson's rising fame, a wax statue of him was added to the Madame Tussauds collection in London and New York City.
- GQ once again named Pattinson the "Best Dressed Man" of 2012.
- He has been named the new face of Dior in 2013.
Salary[edit | edit source]
- Twilight: $2,000,000
- New Moon: $12,000,000
- Breaking Dawn - Part 1: $12,500,000 + 7.5% of the gross
- Breaking Dawn - Part 2: $12,500,000 + 7.5% of the gross
References[edit | edit source]
- Twilight Movie at stepheniemeyer.com
- 'Twilight Countdown: Robert Pattinson answers your questions' Denise Martin, Nov. 5, 2008
- 'Twilight Makes for the Best Fanwank ever'
- 'Twilight' reshoots: Why is Catherine Hardwicke filming again? Nicole Sperling, The Hollywood Insider, Aug 29, 2008
- 'Twilight' Countdown: Catherine Hardwicke says original script was more like 'Charlie's Angels' Denise Martin, latimesblog, November 6, 2008
- 'Twilight' Countdown: What you didn't know about Robert Pattinson Denise Martin, latimesblogs, November 9, 2008
- 'Twilight' countdown: Robert Pattinson answers even more of your questions Denise Martin, latimesblogs, November 7, 2008
- 'Twilight' hunk Robert Pattinson is starting to scare us! Elizabeth Snead, latimesblogs, October 28, 2008
- http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/robert-pattinson-voted-sexiest-in-glamours-1352663 By Mirror.com in 2012 just a few weeks ago
- http://www.madametussauds.com/London/NewsAndEvents/RobertPattinsonAnnounce/ Which was released later that year
- http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/articles/2012-03/02/best-dressed-men-voting-results/viewgallery/#ContentTop Which he was awarded with a Photo shot for the Magazine
- Source of the trivial note. http://www.entertainmentwise.com/photos/112289/1/Robert-Pattinsons-Steamy-Dior-Ad-Is-Ultimate-Revenge-On-Kristen-Stewart (Plus there is a youtube clip yet to come out.)